it’s the last meal of the weekend cooking marathon. wild rice and mushroom soup, it’s a good hearty winter soup.
Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, halved
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 cheese rinds
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅛ cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cook wild rice according to instructions. Rice will burst open when fully cooked.
- In a separate pot, heat olive oil. Saute onions, celery, and garlic. Once translucent, add in mushrooms. Let mushrooms cook down and release their juices, turning the mixture a nice deep brown color – about 20 minutes.
- Add in oregano and flour and stir. Pour in wine and scrape the vegetables from the bottom of the pot. Let the mixture reduce a bit, then add in the cheese rinds, bay leaves, and broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Finally, add the rosemary, cream, cooked rice, and cider vinegar. Continue to reduce until soup has thickened, about 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
recipe adapted from the kitchn.