you know how i was complaining about the frigid, frigid cold last week? well today it was 55 degrees. in wisconsin. in january.
walking outside this morning i was thinking that i’ll never get to use my cross country skis again, but don’t fear – it’ll drop down to the negatives by thursday.
and there are people who don’t believe in global warming? is this real life?
anyways, this meal was inspired mainly by the beautiful rainbow chard at the grocery store this weekend. then add the beans, and the shrimp, and you’ve got something worth eating in 55 degrees in january.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large bunch rainbow chard (or just swiss chard), stems removed and chopped coarsely
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 15 oz can cannelloni beans
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 15-20 shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- In a cast iron pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook onions and garlic until translucent. Add in greens, salt, and pepper and stir until chard has wilted. Remove from pot.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add beans, cumin, and paprika and stir. Turn heat up high, then cook beans without stirring so they char a little (but do not burn) on one side, about 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook until pink.
- Remove from heat and add chard and onions to pan. Stir in lemon juice and rice vinegar.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.