as you may remember, two weeks ago was jason’s birthday. one of jason’s birthday presents from me was a week of potatoes.
while planning our menu for that week, i threw in a couple sweet potato recipes. when i ran the list past jason, i was informed that “sweet potatoes are not potatoes.” he was appalled i even brought it up. i personally enjoy a sweet potato significantly more than a normal potato, but that’s relationships, right? you sometimes just have to eat a week of the wrong kind of potato… anyways, this curried sweet potato soup was stricken off the birthday week list, but i am getting my
revenge way today.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- juice from ½ a lime
- 1 15-oz can light coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetables broth
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup peas (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup spinach
- salt to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
- cilantro as garnish
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add in onions and cook until translucent. Add in garlic and curry and mix well.
- Pour in lime juice, coconut milk, and broth. Add potatoes, brown sugar, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Once potatoes are soft, add in peas and spinach and cook until spinach has wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper and serve with cilantro.
recipe adapted from love and lemons.